Pages

Thursday, June 10

Thoughtful Thursdays-Summertime

When you were a kid, what did you do in the summer?

Growing up we never really had a lot of money so my summers were very simple. When I was little I played with the neighborhood kids at home or my Grandmothers. I spent a lot of time at my Grandmothers where I could watch cable TV and play Nintendo! Around age 9 I started going to my Grandfathers for a few weeks in the summer. He lived in Eastern Oregon. This was much different from my Western Washington surroundings and very exciting. As a teen my Step-Father would drag us camping, something I actually enjoyed quite a bit. Cougar Rock at Mount Rainier National Park was the usual spot but I remember we ventured to Mount St. Helens once. We never went to far. When I started dating J I would try to spend as much time as possible with him, obviously. Young love, so exciting. My first summer trip that included a plane was to visit him in Georgia at Tech School. Summer vacations became a family affair after marriage and Q-tip. We were in Europe and tried to make a point to do a big trip in the summer. Spain, Italy, camping in Garmish! We had some great summer holidays.

Our first summer in the US we took a road trip home and down highway 1. This year we will be spending summer here in Las Vegas, not our first plan but adaption is a specialty of mine. Its okay, my niece is coming to visit and I have lots of fun things planned to do with 3 kids. Summertime is for making memories and we are going to make as many as possible!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're making the best of it. If nothing else, the kids will never forget a summer with an extra girl in the house! :-)

    I think summers are a fabulous time to travel or stay home and make the memories! We have only gone on a few family vacations, but its something I want to do more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent my summers in Grand Isle, LA at our beach house. Which is all covered in oil. =( But I have the best memories from being about 3 until 21 years old.

    ReplyDelete